Home » » Page 8 Ray Barlow

Page 8 Ray Barlow

Written By onci on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 | 2:18 AM

Harsh Light! by Ray Barlow

First off, I would like to thank all the recent contributors to this site, as things are now, we are all doing this for nothing. I hope to have many new photographers posting new articles soon, so please check back when you can, and let me know if you have any feedback...

ray@raymondbarlow.com

I hope to develop this site and increase traffic to help support all the work that goes into it., so please forward the link to your friends, and help us out.

Last week we had one of the summer time bright "sunny 16" days here in southern Ontario, and I usually just find other things to do, as the harsh light really doesn't do much for me. On this day, I felt some shooting energy, so the my friend Malcolm Benn and I headed to a local swamp.

On a hot sunny day, the birds usually hide in the shade and sleep., but this very confident Great Blue Heron came over for a visit just as we were about to leave. I missed all the flight shot, but we did have some fun trying to get some perched shots after it had landed.

I shoot aperture priority, and watch the histogram, and the highlight "blinkes" on the monitor. Most of my shots during this shoot were taken with -1 to -1 1/3 under exposure. Looking at them in the sun, on the camera monitor, I figured they were all junk, but after having a look at these images at home and using ACR for the Raw conversion, I think I was able to salvage a few respectable images.

The dynamic range on the D300 seems to save these shots... with bright highlights, and dark backgrounds, the camera is able to find a nice tonal balance and produce nice images.

So keep shooting, and have fun!
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment